Sunday, February 17, 2013

week 5 - multimodal texts


Multiple Literacies and Multimodal Texts – reflection of the implications of this session on my future practice 

It is apparent that in multimodal texts a particular set of reading skills are needed to fully engage and comprehend them, ‘many books and other media now available in schools cannot be read by attention to writing alone’ (UKLA, 2004:5). Particularly inferential and deductive skills are needed to make sense of for examples picture books which use words and pictures combined to depict the story. As teachers it is our role to ensure children are equipped with these skills to access these texts, UKLA (2004, 18) states ‘what is on offer in the classroom influences what children are able to achieve in constructing these texts’, therefore it is important to provide multimodal texts in the classroom. It was interesting in the seminar to look closely about the knowledge we have when accessing these texts and what we do to engage in them, such as the use of layout features, different fonts, illustrations, and colours all used for purpose. Discussing multimodal texts with children makes explicit the purpose of these features ‘and is likely to have an impact on their use of different modes and media for specific purposes’ (UKLA, 2004: 18). This was made more explicit to me whilst creating my own multimodal text using power point and the thought process I went through in selecting different effects for purpose in my story.

 
UKLA (2004) also makes explicit how these texts can be used cross curricular for children to communicate their own learning for example in Science to demonstrate the life cycle of a plant, they further stress that purely ‘looking only at the words runs the risk of missing a lot of what children know’ (UKLA, 2004:5) therefore introducing multimodal texts to children so they can use and apply them can help reveal a great deal about the learning taken place.

 
QCA/UKLA (2004) More than Words: Multimodal texts in the Classroom London:QCA

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree that it is important to have different texts available to children in the classroom adn that what we offer the children reflects their ability to connect with different modes of texts. With incorporating image, text and layout features etc as you mentioned within a piece of text I wonder whether the quality would be effected as there would be a lot of different area of focus?
    I also like how you looked into ways of making it cross curricular - the way that incorporating text and image into a text reveals more about the learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an interesting point and could be a challenge, there may need to be an explicit focus on one specific aspect at a time to gain more depth in understanding. However this could also be true in children creating their own multimodal texts there may be too many aspects to focus on to get a balance which creates meaning for example when I created my own multimodal text I over focused on perfecting the layout that I did not manage to complete it.

      Delete
  2. I also agree that there are numerous benefits to having a wide range of texts available in the classroom. However, as a teacher, I would be intrigued to know which kinds of texts would be most effective and how this is reflected in the NC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the quality may be affected due to the different elements to think about. When I created my PowerPoint story I spent little focus on the text as I was focussing on the pictures and layout . To guide children I would use a success criteria check list so the children are aware that there is a balance between the text and layout. This would also help them to think about all the different features of PowerPoint they can use to construct meaning .

    ReplyDelete